Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Idea under consideration...

Here is something I am considering but haven't decided on yet and I want your opinion:

Background unless you're familiar with my personal blog: I crochet "cross" blankets in a few patterns to sell. They're typically used for baptismal blankets but not limited to that. Sometime last year I made a tiny cross blanket for someone who had been longing for one but had lost her baby to miscarriage. She loved it (it was something tangible) and later I made one for someone else. I've made a few of these now (sadly, one for me) and have never sold them, considering it a blessing to send to someone.

One woman overseas wanted to make her baby a blanket but found out the baby had a terminal illness and might not even live long enough to be born. I didn't have a pattern, but sent her photographs and what instructions I could. As it turned out, she was able to make her baby a cross blanket, finishing it just in time to be able to wrap up her baby when she was born. She buried the baby with that blanket but made a smaller one for herself to keep (kind of like the small ones I had been making). She noted that it felt good to be able to do something for her baby since she would not be able to do any of the traditional things.

I am considering writing out a pattern for one of the little cross blankets and posting it on the Resources page. Then people could make them for themselves or for friends or family. The only stipulation would be that they could not be sold. Any thoughts?

11 comments:

elizabeth said...

that's tricky as you have to consider things from the business perspective a little bit too, since you do this also for income (which is totally fine to do!) ... given that I personally would offer the individual the pattern (if they can make it themselves) on an email one-on-one basis. Once something is posted publicly online, it is pretty impossible to control what happens to it...

Matushka Anna said...

That's not a bad idea, even though the ones I make to sell are considerably larger and more complicated. It would still be a free pattern and easily obtainable.

Sh. Patty said...

Yes, I like the idea of offering to email it personally, especially a simplified version.

Also, what about a link somewhere on Lost Innocents giving people the idea of giving a baby blanket to someone who is miscarrying or losing a child—wouldn't have to be one of yours. I think there are a variety of places that cater to this need. You could list some of them (your own included). I think if you worded it sensitively (which you are excellent at doing), it wouldn't sound like advertising. Anyway, just a thought.

Matushka Anna said...

That's not a bad idea. I have a page for resources and am trying to put things on it like that. I've searched around and found a few sites that make and sell little memorial blankets and such. If anyone knows of such a site or has used one, please let me know.

Melissa said...

That's a beautiful idea! I'd love to include something like this in my miscarriage bags once I get that part of our non profit up and running!

Matushka Anna said...

I wonder if I could sell the small ones in bulk, but still make the pattern available for free? I'm still meandering around with this one...

flowersfortheteacher said...

I totally agree with Elizabeth and Khouria Patty... that is, make it as available as possible via a personal email to you stating of course it's noncommercial use. I also think selling them would be great too, not that sending personal ones to people or through people you know isn't a blessing but certainly one shouldn't consider taking of advantage if possible and also, I don't crochet but knit and wouldn't be able to read the pattern so having a few in the shop... I wouldn't find that the least bit offensive- coming from you anyhow. Speaking of, did I mention yet how wonderful I thought it was for you to give a pattern out. A side thought: how about Ravelry or other sites that you can post it to too, I think it'd be helpful via search engines. Keep us posted on your work-in-progress.

Blessings (on this hopefully not as hot of a day),
Anastasia

Matushka Anna said...

First let me thank everyone for their good suggestions and advice. (:

Here's what I *may* do: (1) Still make little blankets for friends or whatnot. (2) Provide the pattern free if you email me. (3) Make some to sell (have them pre-made and ready to mail) for individuals who cannot crochet. (4) Make some on order for organizations who would like to include them in bereavement packages (or other such things).

How does that sound?

flowersfortheteacher said...

You're too awesome!

beauteincongrue said...

I would love the pattern - I have many losses that I have nothing tangible to remember them by, and since I lost Benjamin in April, I've met more families who have gone through this than I would have ever imagined - or known about...even in my own family. :(

Matushka Anna said...

beauteincongrue: send me an e-mail and I will happily get this to you. (annacrawford @ cableone . net)