Sunday, April 15, 2012

Upon those in the tombs...

...bestowing life.

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!

Pascha is a poignant time for most who have lost babies or children. We desperately want our babies with us to celebrate Pascha and their absence is a gaping wound. I've had just as many painful and at times, bitter, thoughts about missing my two boys this year as have anyone so I feel like the blind leading the blind by saying this. Innocent would have been over six months old and Andrew would have been due in 6 weeks. The truth is, Christ has risen from the dead! He has trampled down death! Because He joined the divine to the human in Himself incarnate and voluntarily died for our sins, our human nature is elevated to the divine. No longer do we die when we die - our souls are joined to God. Our babies passed directly from us to the arms of Christ without pause. Their bodies do see corruption in the grave, but even those will be resurrected on the last day and reunited with their souls. God did not make us for death, for hell. He made us for eternal life with Him.

We will go to the cemetery this afternoon after Agape Vespers and sing "Christ is risen!" to our boys, but they already experience eternal Pascha. We weep for us, not them. The empty tomb is a symbol of hope, not desolation.

May the resurrected Lord comfort all of you today and every day.


2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm sorry for your losses. Easter Sunday was especially meaningful and sad this year too as I lost my baby Isaiah in Nov at 11 weeks gestation and now just was diagnosed with a 2nd miscarriage at 10.5 weeks this past Saturday, waiting for baby Catherine to come now.

Matushka Anna said...

Julie, I am so sorry to hear that. I wish there were words that could help. I hope Catherine makes her entry into the world peacefully and soon. Email me if you want to talk.

May Isaiah and Catherine's memory be eternal!