Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Resource Added

I was just made aware of a new program to put together memory boxes for families who have lost babies in the first two trimesters (especially the second). So many memory boxes and clothing items are made and donated for babies lost in the third trimester, but not so many for the second. Crystal created You are my Child in memory of her son Nathan lost at 16 weeks to a cord accident.

"...one of the things I wished that I'd had was a blanket or outfit, sized for him. I remember them handing him to me in a standard sized newborn hospital blanket. He was only 6 1/2" long which was overwhelming enough. The blanket made it worse by swallowing him and emphasizing how tiny he was. In the emotion and shock of the moment, I chose not to have a picture made of my son. (One of the regrets that I live with every day.) Even now, I can't look at his memory box from the hospital. There is nothing in it that is his... nothing that he touched... not one physical reminder that he was ever born. That tears my heart to pieces.

I got online and began to research organizations and companies who offered remembrance items, specifically for families who experience miscarriage and/or 2nd trimester losses. I was disappointed to find very few. It was then, that the idea for 'You are my Child' was born. The idea was simple: help families affected by miscarriage... attach more importance to the word miscarriage. Families should be provided the same support and resources that any other family, who has lost a child, would receive. During the weeks after I delivered, I found myself wanting to shout "I wasn't sick. I didn't have a medical procedure. I didn't 'just have a miscarriage'. I had a baby. He was my child." I felt like some people thought because I didn't carry my baby to term, that my grieving process should be less painful and somehow quicker."



I have added this to the Resources page. I will be making some blankets to send to help with the memory boxes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so very much for sharing Nathan's story and the project that was created in his memory.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. If you have a comment or question you are not comfortable leaving in a comment box, then feel free to e-mail me directly. We appreciate the opinions of others, but would remind you to present them with Christian charity.